April 9, 2018
Street Law, Inc. is seeking a chief program officer to lead and oversee the implementation of its programs. We’re looking for an experienced, successful manager to provide strong leadership to our program team and to help set and ensure the achievement of Street Law’s short- and long-term goals. The chief program officer will work closely with the program team to guide new projects from conception through implementation and will lead, motivate, coach, develop, and evaluate program staff.
Who We Are
For 45 years, Street Law has been hard at work in communities and schools across the country and around the globe, developing programs and teaching materials that educate people about law and democracy.
We believe that when people have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to understand how law and government work, to advocate effectively for themselves and others, and to participate in civic life, their lives and society will be better.
We move the needle on our mission by helping others—specifically classroom teachers, the legal community, police officers, government agencies, and community organizations—be effective legal and civics educators.
We are a dedicated and diverse staff of 13. Our colleagues bring a great deal of enthusiasm and expertise to the table and enjoy collaborating to make Street Law’s programs and curricula the best that they can be. Our workplace is flexible and fun, and we strive each day to embody our core values of quality, transparency, inclusion, creativity, operational effectiveness, and nonpartisanship.
What You’ll Do
Street Law has a broad menu of program and curricular offerings that all support the pursuit of our mission, which is to advance justice through classroom and community education programs that empower people with the legal and civic knowledge, skills, and confidence to bring about positive change for themselves and others.
You’ll help deliver on our mission by:
- Leading a team of talented, experienced program staff: working with them to design and deliver programs and curriculum, motivating them to do their best work, holding them accountable for results, coaching and developing them as employees, troubleshooting problems, and assessing their performance.
- Securing funding for Street Law’s work: identifying potential funding sources, “selling” our work to potential funders and partners, cultivating and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, and developing formal funding proposals.
- Monitoring and evaluating the outcomes and impacts of Street Law’s work, and applying lessons from those outcomes and impacts to improve programming content and strategies.
- Serving as a senior leader at Street Law by working with the executive director and fellow members of the senior management team to shape and set the organization’s agenda.
Who You Are
You are able to:
- Deliver results through the effective management of Street Law’s program team.
- Build successful projects/products from concept to implementation.
- Communicate effectively with exceptionally good writing skills and the ability to speak confidently and persuasively to stakeholders about both big ideas and the minutiae of project implementation.
- Skillfully juggle competing priorities and create organizational systems that track multiple deadlines and projects smoothly.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues, peers, partners, funders, and decision makers.
You have at least five years of senior management experience and a proven record of deep knowledge of and commitment to sound management practices. You bring knowledge and experience related to the content of Street Law’s work (e.g., law, civic education, law enforcement community engagement, serving vulnerable populations), and you are adept at quickly learning new concepts/content. You have experience managing program delivery and implementation and leading training sessions that transform the way participants teach or work. You set high standards for your work and expect the same from your team.
What Else You Should Know
Street Law is an equal opportunity employer, and we value a diverse staff. We are headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC. We are convenient to the Metro’s red line and many bus lines. This position will be expected to work out of the Silver Spring office. This position involves occasional travel to observe and deliver programs and represent Street Law at events.
The annual salary range for this position is $115,000–$130,000. Street Law offers a robust package of benefits that includes medical and dental insurance, generous vacation and sick leave, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) retirement program with employer match.
How to Apply
Send us a résumé and a cover letter describing your experience (emphasizing your managerial experience and your connection to Street Law’s mission), qualifications, and interest in the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your full name and “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Application deadline is May 4, 2018.
(Reproduced with permission)